Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Orzo with Turkey Sausage and Roasted Bell Peppers

Good evening. 

I revisited the April 26, 2011 post, "Orzo with Andouille, Roma Tomatoes and Roasted Red Bell Peppers" and redid the recipe in a much more simple fashion. 

I boiled some whole grain orzo in a mixture of water and low-sodium chicken broth according to package directions; the one I had needed to be boiled for 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, I heated up some turkey sausage in a skillet on medium heat.  The kind I bought was already fully cooked, and it didn't have any casings.  It was 13.5 ounces total for 5 links.  I mashed the sausage up with a potato masher because it was quicker. 

While the sausage was heating, I added lots of pepper and some salt and about a teaspoon of red pepper flakes and stirred every minute or so.  After about three minutes of heating, I added two chopped roasted red bell peppers from a jar, stirred and let it heat some more.

Once the orzo was done, I used a hand-held strainer (sometimes called a "spider" which is a disgusting term) to transfer all the orzo into the skillet with the rest of the ingredients.

Stir it all together and add about 1/2 cup or so of the boiling liquid, stir some more.  Add some additional liquid if the mixture seems dry.

Enjoy!

I don't have a picture because I couldn't locate the camera, but it does resemble the picture on the original posting referenced at the beginning of this post.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment