Thursday, August 25, 2011

Mushroom & Sun-Dried Tomato Risotto

Good evening.

I am well on my way to maintaining my vegan "way of eating".  I feel better, and I am very sure I can do this - giving up meat & dairy. 

I actually made this dish this past Tuesday, but I haven't had the time to blog about it until now.  I found a link for the recipe online:  http://www.food.com/recipe/mushroom-and-sun-dried-tomato-risotto-207099

It is another recipe from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's (http://www.theppk.com/) book Vegan With A Vengeance.  You must buy this book, as well as all of her other books because they are awesome. 

I have made many risotto dishes before, and they are easy once you understand the process and why it takes patience for it to be perfect.  A risotto dish can be a complete meal for me, but, for others, it may only act as a side dish.  They may long for something else to accompany a risotto.  I think the fact that these dishes require so much attention, I don't bother making anything else with it. 

This one had mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes in it, so it was like the grain side dish with the vegetable side dish.  It all works out. 

Some of my changes:

*I used about 1/2 cup of dried shiitake mushrooms (re-hydrated in the broth) and 3 1/2 cups of cremini mushrooms.  I did that mainly because shiitakes cost more $$$, and eating healthier is already expensive as it is.  You try to save where you can.
*I left out the shallots because, as you know, I don't care for shallots or onions.  Like I said above, I have made many risotto dishes before, so I know how to adapt the recipe to account for the omission of this ingredient.
*I increased the garlic from 2 to 4 cloves.
*I used dried thyme (1 1/2 tsp) & dried rosemary (1 tsp) and crushed it in my hands before pouring it in.
*I didn't use the black truffle oil because I don't have any because it costs a lot of $$$.  It is a delicious ingredient, but I didn't want to shell out the $$$ for it. 

The picture below is the finished dish.  It looks soupy, but it wasn't like that at all.  The sauce is thick, and the dish is just beyond delicious. 


No comments:

Post a Comment