Thursday, March 31, 2011

Turkey Meatloaf

Good evening!

Tonight, I made turkey meatloaf.  It is a dish I grew up with, and I love it.  I used to make it with ground beef, but I have switched to turkey because I am trying to cut down on my red meat consumption. 

This meatloaf is also great made with ground chicken.  I also like to brown the cheesy top under the broiler for a couple of minutes once the meatloaf is fully cooked.

The recipe is as follows:

2 lbs. ground turkey
1/3 cup ketchup
1 1/2 tbsp mustard
2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1/3 sleeve Saltines, crushed
1 egg
1 tsp Herbes de Provence
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp crushed red peppers
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
Fine sea salt
Black pepper
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

In a large bowl, combine all the above ingredients (except the cheese) and mix with your hands until well incorporated.  In a loaf pan (I used a glass 5 x 9 pan), pour in the mixture and form it to fit the pan and flatten the top.

Top the meat with the mozzarella cheese.  Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.

Remove the pan from the oven and let it rest for about 10 minutes before slicing it and serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment