Sunday, March 13, 2011

Turkey Tacos and Mexican Rice

Good evening.

It's been nearly a week since my last post!  I've been busy with miscellaneous things, but now I am able to post tonight.

This evening, I made ground turkey tacos.  I used 93/7 ground turkey.  I browned up two pounds in a skillet.

After the turkey has cooked for about 5 minutes (on slightly over medium heat, but not quite done), I added in fine sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste), 1 tbsp ground cumin, 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp ground coriander and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper.  I do not like the prepared packets of taco seasoning.  They usually have dehydrated onions in them, and that is disgusting to me.  :)  Keep in mind the measurements for these seasonings were for two pounds.

Obviously, if you were only going to prepare one pound of meat, then half all of the measurements.  I would have added in a ton more cayenne, but I wasn't making this just for me. 

After all of the seasonings are added and incorporated, you continue cooking (and breaking up) the meat until it is fully cooked, usually about 10 minutes total.

Prepare the soft or crunchy taco shells using the packet/box directions.

Serve the meat on the shell and add any of your favorite toppings.  Tonight, I diced up some fresh roma tomatoes, had some baby field greens, bought a cheese mixture of Cheddar and Monterey Jack and a jar of salsa. 


I served it alongside some of my homemade (easy) Mexican rice:

1 tsp oil (grapeseed, EVOO, canola, etc.)
1 cup white Jasmine (or Basmati) rice
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 cups vegetable and chicken broth (or stock)

Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium heat.  Add in the rice and stir to coat.  Saute the rice in the oil for about 4-5 minutes until it is starting to brown, stirring every 30 seconds or so.  Add in the cumin, chili powder and tomato paste and stir to incorporate.  Cook this mixture on medium for about 1 minute, stirring every 30 seconds.

Add in the broth and stir.  Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to simmer and cover.  Cook for about 20-25 minutes (usually 22) until all of the liquid is absorbed and the "tunnels" form in the rice.  Turn off the heat; carefully remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.  Serve!


You might be wondering why these tacos are so plain.  Well, I am picky about the toppings on my tacos, so I usually only do meat, cheese and a hot sauce of some kind.  The other toppings are served were for the others that were enjoying this dinner as well.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment