Sunday, April 3, 2011

Brioche French Toast

Good evening, everyone.

Tonight, I made French toast with brioche.  You can really use any bread you want.  I've made French toast countless times, and I have used Texas toast, Panettone, regular bread, etc. 

I bought a full loaf of Brioche and cut it into twelve pieces, so the pieces are a little thick. 

For the custard, I cracked 8 eggs and whisked them up.  Then I added about 1/2 cup of Half-and-Half, as well as 1/4 tsp. ground cloves, 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, and 20 grates of fresh nutmeg.  Whisk that all up again and set aside.

In a non-stick skillet on medium heat, melt 2 tsp butter.  Then dip one slice of bread in the custard, coating both sides, and put the bread in the skillet.  Add another slice of coated bread and let both slices brown on one side, then flip each slice over and let it brown on the other side.

As slices are done, put them on an over-proof plate of some sort and put the plate in the oven, which should be preheated to the lowest setting available, usually 170 degrees.

Add additional butter to the skillet.  Repeat the coating and browning with each remaining slice and add finished slices to the oven.

I served mine topped with some slices strawberries, some blackberries and some blueberries.



No comments:

Post a Comment