Sunday, March 6, 2011

Irish Soda Bread

Good afternoon!

Because tonight is the premiere of season six of The Real Housewives of Orange County, I thought I would do something special:  I would bake a bread from scratch to have with the soup I will be making later - roasted garlic soup (blog post later this evening).

Sometimes, I have no patience to do bread from scratch because of the yeast and all of that, so I decided an Irish soda bread would be perfect.  The recipe came from The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau.  If you have been paying attention to my blog, you will have noticed that I use this author's recipes quite a lot.  Her cookbooks are all vegan, and the recipes are easy to make. 

The reason it is called soda bread is because the baking soda is the leavening agent.  Also, because this recipe is vegan, buttermilk isn't used.  What is used instead is a nondairy milk of choice (I used plain, unsweetened rice milk), and you just add an acid to it (i.e. lemon juice, vinegar, etc.) and let it sit. 

The recipe itself is easy.  The ingredients are nondairy milk, white distilled vinegar, unbleached all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt (I used fine sea salt), and some non-hydrogenated, nondairy butter (brand of choice:  Earth Balance). 

The dough is really stick once you incorporate everything.  Kneading it is somewhat fun because the dough just sticks to your hands.  You bake it in a round cake pan and enjoy!

If vegan isn't your thing (keep in mind that Oreo's are vegan: http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/accidentally-vegan.aspx), then you can always Google an Irish soda bread recipe. 

It's a bit of fun to remove the bread from the pan once it's cooled for a minute and thump it.  You are supposed to hear a hollow sound.  That will tell you the bread was done correctly.  :)  YUM!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment