Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Five-Spice Saucy Chicken Stir Fry

Good evening!

I know it has been a few days since my last post, but tonight I made five-spice saucy chicken stir fry.  It is from the cookbook China Modern by Ching-He Huang.  She has her own show, "Chinese Food Made Easy", on the Cooking Channel.  

The first thing you have to do is cut up a pound of chicken breasts into about 3/4" cubes and marinate it for a short time in some oyster sauce, cornstarch, salt and pepper. 

Meanwhile, you heat a wok on high heat and add in an oil that has a high smoke point - grapeseed, safflower, peanut, etc.  Tonight, I used safflower.  Then you throw in some minced garlic and ginger and cook for about 30 seconds.  Then you toss in the chicken and stir fry until golden brown.  You throw in some red pepper flakes, chicken broth or stock, a carrot, and some pak choy.  I couldn't find pak choy, so I used baby bok choy with amazing results. 

Then you pour in some soy sauce, rice wine and a tad of five-spice powder.  I didn't have rice wine, so I used some rice vinegar.  After that, you stir in some cornstarch dissolved in some water to thicken the sauce.  You serve it over some rice and enjoy!!!

I have to say that Asian cuisine is one of my favorites, mainly Chinese food.  Mexican and Italian are my other two favorites. 



No comments:

Post a Comment