Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Seitan Tacos

Tonight, I made some seitan tacos.  The recipe is from 1,000 Vegan Recipes by Robin Robertson.  Buy it on Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/000-Vegan-Recipes/dp/0470085029/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317166833&sr=8-1.  I also made a side of my world-famous Mexican rice, hot 'n spicy black beans and some sauteed peppers.

I have made the seitan tacos recipe many times before, and after checking my past posts, I discovered I haven't blogged about it!  I have, however, blogged about my Mexican rice recipe before - post on March 13, 2011.  I have since tweaked the recipe to taste better, but I will write up another post on that.


I did find a link for it online:  http://books.google.com/books?id=jeFz24WOHq8C&pg=PA126&lpg=PA126&dq=seitan+tacos+robin+robertson&source=bl&ots=iH5IKKlvFi&sig=AtvSOBAek2plIzOjc5WCMCLhqnA&hl=en&ei=xF-CTvDUEYn-sQKloYTlDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CDEQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false.

I follow the recipe as is - olive oil through garlic powder, the rest is toppings & the corn tortillas.  In addition to the chili powder, cumin and garlic powder, I like to add 1/2 teaspoon coriander.  I love the flavor of coriander.

I like both yellow corn and blue corn tortillas.  Either one is fine for this.  I like to assemble my tacos as follows:

Corn tortilla then some of the seitan then some hot 'n spicy black beans then sauteed peppers then diced avocado (with some lemon juice on it to prevent it from browning) and finally some Daiya mozzarella flavored cheese.  I may then add some hot sauce or salsa of some kind, but I usually like the tacos without it.  There is usually enough heat from the beans and peppers.

For the sauteed peppers, I just took some small bell peppers and some various other peppers and de-seeded and sliced them.  Then I cooked them in some olive oil in a skillet on medium heat and seasoned them with salt & pepper until they were tender.

For the hot 'n spicy black beans, I took a 16 ounce can of black beans, drained most of the liquid and added them to a small saucepan.  To get the remainder of the beans out of the can, I added a bit of water to the can, swirled it around and poured in the remaining beans and the water.  I then turned the beans on medium-low.  I added the following items:  1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon coriander, 1 teaspoon chili powder, salt & pepper to taste, and the tops of two jalapenos.  The tops will help to turn the heat up on the beans.  Heat through and stir every so often until they are hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment