Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Life As a Vegan - Update 2

Good evening, everyone.

It's been a month since I switched my diet over to veganism.  I have had my struggles, but I think I have adjusted just fine.  Last week was a particularly difficult week; I was craving meat for whatever reason.  I wasn't craving cheese or milk, just meat, mainly chicken.  I even tried to justify to myself that if I have one meal with meat, I would be OK.  Then I thought about the fact that I would be adding cholesterol to my body, as well as all of the other stuff that comes with eating meat.  After this back and forth inner battle, I decided to have some chik'n nuggets, which seemed to satisfy my appetite.

Speaking of chik'n nuggets, I have found that the transition has been easier once I located "replacement" products for things I loved as an omnivore.  Chik'n nuggets & chik'n patties are excellent items that are beyond delicious.  I like to puts lots of cayenne pepper on them before I microwave them.  I like them even more because they cook up extremely fast.  The brand I love is Boca (http://www.bocaburger.com/products/chikn.aspx).  Just make sure whatever chik'n you decide to eat, that it is free of animal products.  The ones I use are labeled "vegan".  That's an easy way to tell, right?

Boca also has excellent vegan burgers (http://www.bocaburger.com/products/boca-burgers.aspx?productBox=0); make sure you buy the ones labeled vegan.  I buy the ones in the tan box, and they are delectable.  They resemble actual burgers and are excellent topped with some organic ketchup, jalapenos and/or perhaps some Vegenaise.  Refer to my post on Vegenaise to see how I feel about it (SO DELICIOUS!).

For the buns, I love the Ezekiel brand (http://www.foodforlife.com/product-catalog/ezekiel-49/buns).  They are vegan, and they are very nutritious and very divine.  They are a bit on the expensive side, but they are worth the $.  Plus, how often are you going to eat a vegan burger or chik'n patty?  To be honest, I could eat one everyday.  Just keep them in the freezer and pull one out when you need it.

I am still on the search for a good vegan pizza, good vegan bratwursts/sausages/hot dogs, among other things.  Any ideas???  Please share!

I still love my Silk light original soymilk with some cereal (i.e. Cocoa Puffs, Cinnamon Life or Reese's Cereal) in the morning.  My lunches are still not adventurous (no-sugar added applesauce, original Sun Chips/Wheat Thins and PB&J on sprouted grain bread). 

I look forward to posting more product reviews (i.e. food, cookbooks, restaurant options, etc.) and maybe a recipe or two as I cook them.  I have just been cooking some of the same things I have posted before, so there is no need to add it again. 

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment