Monday, February 14, 2011

Quinoa & Field Greens Salad

Good evening!

For tonight's dinner, I decided on a simple salad.  It IS Monday, and I don't care for Mondays, especially Valentine's Day.  In any event, a salad is easy and healthy (usually).

For the salad, I boiled a cup of (rinsed) quinoa in two cups of water.  Before I boiled it, I added the zest of one lemon, some freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes.  I brought the water to a boil and then reduced the heat to simmer and let it go for 15 minutes.  Once it is done, fluff the quinoa with a fork.  Let stand and cool until ready to use.

The greens I used was mixed greens/field greens.  I am not a fan of iceberg or romaine by itself.  I love spinach and arugula, but I thought mixed greens would be a nice touch.

For toppings, I chopped up some strawberries and toasted up some slivered almonds (any almonds will do).  I assembled the salad by putting the greens in a bowl, then topping it with some quinoa, strawberries and almonds.  For the dressing, I simply squeezed on some fresh lemon juice, as well as few drips of balsamic vinegar.  I then stirred it to make sure everything was covered.  :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment