Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Lentil & Eggplant Chili Mole

Good evening!

Tonight, I made lentil & eggplant chili mole.  It is from the same book as last night's blogged recipe (Arabian Lentil & Rice Soup from Appetite For Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz). 

This a yet another recipe that calls for onions, and I left them out.  What I did was saute the red bell pepper and the garlic (I used 5 cloves, recipe calls for 3) together for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently to not let the garlic burn. 

The mole calls for a variety of herbs & spices, all of which complement the recipe very well.  They are chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano and cinnamon.  The lentils in this recipe are green, and they are delicious.  Lentils are, according to the book, high in protein, iron and fiber.  I always enjoy every dish I make that includes lentils.  I recommend buying lentils in the bulk section of your grocery store.  You can save a lot of money that way. 

The next ingredient is unsweetened cocoa powder.  I use Ghirardelli.  Only the best!  A can of diced tomatoes, vegetable broth and a couple pounds of chopped eggplant finish the dish.  You can add some pure maple syrup or agave nectar at the end (per the recipe), as well as some chopped cilantro for garnish. 

I served this mole over some white jasmine rice (I had white rice I have to use up).  It was delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment