Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Penne with Roasted Tomatoes, Garlic and White Beans

Hi, everyone, on this cool day!  When are the summer temps coming?!?!

Anyway, I made penne with roasted tomatoes, garlic and white beans for dinner this evening.  It is from the book The Food You Crave by Ellie Krieger, but the recipe is also available on the Food Network website:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/penne-with-roasted-tomatoes-garlic-and-white-beans-recipe/index.html

I am trying to eat healthier, and this recipe looked delicious.  What's cool about the cookbook itself is that all of the nutritional facts are available for each recipe.  I find that very helpful, especially in my quest to maintain a healthier lifestyle. 

In addition, I love garlic (it wards off the vampies), and I love beans.  I like cooked tomatoes, but I am not a fan of raw tomatoes.

My variations with the recipe:

I doubled the following ingredients:
*Garlic
*Olive Oil (nearly doubled)
*Salt (I used fine sea salt)
*LOTS of pepper
*Beans
*Penne (I used whole grain)
*Basil

Other variations:
*I used 2.75 lbs. of Roma tomatoes (cut into quarters and de-seeded)
*I used the juice and zest of three lemons
*I left out the Parmesan cheese
*With the garlic, I peeled and smashed each clove and then discarded them after the tomatoes were done.

It was very YUM-O!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment