Saturday, January 29, 2011

Ginger

I thought I would also try to give you some tips on how I like to prepare my fresh ginger when a recipe calls for it.  

If you read my very first post, then you will know I love the Cooking Channel, as well as the Food Network.  I have seen some of the cooks/chefs on these stations not peel their ginger before they use it.  Before that time, I had always seen them use a spoon to peel away the skin of the ginger.  After seeing some of them not peel it, I decided I would do the same and save myself some time.  I always thought peeling it was annoying and an unnecessary step, and now I've been validated!  

Before I prepare the ginger, I remove it from the freezer, so that it can come up to room temp.  It'll be easier to handle that way.  I then either cut off a big chunk and dice it, or I just leave it all whole and use a Microplane to grate the amount I need.  

After I prepare the amount needed for the recipe, I tightly wrap the remaining fresh ginger in plastic wrap and place it in the freezer for future use.  You can also put it in a Ziploc baggie, squeeze all of the air out, and put it in the freezer.  

I hope these tips have helped you out in saving some time in any recipe that calls for fresh ginger!


No comments:

Post a Comment