Monday, May 2, 2011

Mexican Black Bean Pizza

Good evening!

Who doesn't love pizza?  I know I love it, and I don't know what I would do if it wasn't around anymore.  I can't and won't think about it.  It's too traumatizing. 

Given the fact the pizza can be really unhealthy, it's always reassuring that comfort foods can be made healthier with a few tweaks. 

Tonight, I made Mexican black bean pizza, and the recipe was courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens magazine.  The recipe was found on Yahoo!:
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/recipes/mexican-black-bean-pizza-538506/

I followed the recipe fully, except I used Mozzarella cheese, and I left out the green onions (for obvious reasons).  I would have added a lot more hot sauce and added some cayenne to the bean mixture if I wasn't serving this to other people.  

A serving is a quarter of the pizza, and the rest of the nutritional info is supplied on the recipe.  Of course, the nutritional info will alter based on what you use as your toppings.  Using mozzarella, I'm sure, altered it a bit. 

You can always add your own toppings or change the recipe to suit your tastes.  I think a vegetarian pizza is a nice break from the pizzas with meat that can be pretty heavy.  I am not knocking pizzas with meat; I mean, I love me some pepperoni. 

As you can see in the pics below, the crust did burn a bit on one side, so I recommend rotating the pans halfway through the cooking process.  To achieve the brown top, I cooked the pizza under the broiler for a few minutes.  Watch it or else it'll burn!  Now that I think about it, the burnt crust may have resulted from the broiling.  Oh, well!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment