Sunday, August 9, 2015

Knockoff Loco Moco

Good evening!

I have another easy recipe for everyone.  When we had to come up with dinners for the week, the idea of Loco Moco was mentioned.  Instead of doing it all completely from scratch (which isn't a difficult recipe, either), I thought we could take one shortcut and use prepared burgers.  WHAT?!  Yes, we used prepared (frozen) burger patties.  Let me tell you that the results were spectacular.  My boyfriend ate up his food so fast that I don't think he stopped to breathe.  

The traditional Loco Moco consists of four main components: white rice, a hamburger patty, brown gravy and a fried egg.  While the version I made this evening isn't traditional, I think it still delivered.  Another shortcut you can do is use a packaged mix for brown gravy.

Ingredients:
*Cooked white rice
*Two prepared hamburger patties (I used turkey patties)
*3 tbsp butter
*3 tbsp flour
*1 1/2 cups chicken broth/stock
*1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
*1 1/2 tsp oyster sauce
*1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
*freshly-cracked black pepper
*two eggs
*cooking spray (or oil)

There will be several things going on at once, but I recommend starting the rice first and have that cooking while you do the remainder of the recipe.

For the burger patties, heat the oven, and bake the patties according to package directions.  Prior to placing the burgers in the oven, I like to season both sides of my patty with black pepper and cayenne.

For the gravy (while the rice and burgers are cooking), first heat a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat.  Toss in the butter, and whisk occasionally until it melts. Then gently pour in the flour while whisking the melted butter.  Keep whisking until the flour and butter are incorporated. You will then cook the butter-flour mixture (whisking often so as to not let it burn) until it turns a medium-brown color.  It will begin to smell a bit nutty.  Once you reach the desired color, carefully pour in the broth/stock, while whisking.  Continue whisking until most (if not all) the lumps are gone.  Mine still had a few remaining.  

Next, add the soy sauce, oyster sauce and Worchestershire sauce and whisk together.  Add some freshly-cracked black pepper to taste and continue cooking while it heats to a bubble.  You should notice (as you whisk) the gravy becoming thicker.  The gravy shouldn't have a rolling boil, just a few bubbles to indicate it is hot enough to turn into the consistency we need.  Because a (normal) whisk doesn't hit everywhere on the sides and bottom of a pan, I also use a (silicone) spatula to get into those "hard-to-reach" places.  Once I am satisfied with the consistency, I will then  turn off the heat and move the pan to a cool burner to rest while I make the eggs.

For the eggs, make them as your heart desires.  I am not a fan of sunny side up eggs, so I did mine over-medium.  I also use cooking spray, as opposed to oil, because I find that the egg will end up being a little too greasy for my taste if I cook the egg in oil.  I will add black pepper to the egg once I add it to the pan for some additional flavor.  

For the assembly, add a couple scoops of cooked white rice to a plate.  Top the rice with your burger patty.  Pour on a couple ladles of gravy over the rice and burger.  Finally, top it all with your cooked egg.

You are done and ready to eat!

Please let me know how you like the recipe and what your variations are!  

Remember to enjoy food and enjoy life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment