Thursday, December 29, 2011

Rice with Punjabi-Style Mushrooms

Hello, again.

Like last night, I made another recipe from Bal Arneson's newest cookbook, Bal's Quick & Healthy Indian.  Tonight, I cooked the recipe titled "Rice with Punjabi-Style Mushrooms".  To get a bit more specific, the recipe is made with brown rice.

To me, brown rice tends to be rather bland, so I always like to add various ingredients to it before it boils.  In this case, I had some leftover cilantro from the coconut soup I made last night, so I chopped some up and added it to the rice.  I also added salt, pepper, some garam masala and the two tops of the green chilies (I used jalapenos) that are used in the mushroom portion of the recipe.  It turned out rather delicious.

For the mushroom part, I followed the recipe except I used all white button mushrooms because they were on sale and usually the cheapest variety.  Often times, baby Bella mushrooms are rather inexpensive, but the grocery store was out of those.  Be that as it may, the whole dish turned out well, and it was quite tasty.

I love Punjabi-style food because the herbs and spices that are used smell so good.  You should buy this book and make this dish as well.  It is a quick weeknight meal that is easy to make after a day at work.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment