Thursday, June 2, 2011

Cubed Chicken & Brown Rice with Broccoli and Carrots

So........who doesn't want to eat healthier?

I've been trying, but sometimes I just do not want to cook.  In that case, I am forced to go get something or make something that doesn't involve cooking.  This is a habit I want to happen less and less.  Some of you might say something to the effect of, "Why don't you cook up dinners in advance, like Rachael Ray does on 'Week in a Day'?"  To that, I say, "I will try."

In any event, I made a dish that was rather easy.  I cooked up some brown rice - 1 1/2 cups in 3 cups of water, brought it to a boil and then reduced the heat & simmered it for 45 mins. 

While that was cooking, I sauteed up a pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in some olive oil in a medium-large pot.  Before I started cooking them, I salt & peppered the chicken breasts, as well as put some cayenne on one side.  It took about 8-10 mins per side on medium because they were rather thick. 

Once the chicken is done, remove it and set it on a cutting board to rest.

In the same pot you cooked the chicken, toss in some red pepper flakes & some additional olive oil.  Then saute up a medium head of broccoli florets and two chopped carrots on a setting one below medium (usually setting 4).  Grind in some black pepper & toss in some salt.  That'll take about 5 minutes.

When the broccoli and carrots are almost done, cube up the chicken into 3/4" pieces.  Toss the chicken in with the veggies. 

Once the rice is finished, carefully remove the lid.  If you want, give yourself a brown rice facial.  If that isn't your thing, keep your head away from the steam that billows out. 

Fluff the rice with a fork and toss it in with the veggies and chicken.  Add in the juice of one lemon and one lime; stir to combine and serve! 

No comments:

Post a Comment